In vivo pharmacology
- KWS BioTest has an extensive range of in vivo models of human disease
- Studies are supported by in house histopathology and bioanalytics
At KWS BioTest, we offer an extensive range of validated in vivo models of human disease to support your preclinical drug efficacy testing. We help you select existing PD (pharmacodynamic) or disease-specific models to suit your needs in target validation, candidate selection and lead optimisation.
Our in vivo studies are fully supported by our histopathology and bioanalytical teams, who assess and interpret how your novel therapy affects disease pathogenesis.
Please get in touch with us to discuss how we can assist you with your in vivo studies.
Models (new and established)
We continually invest in our own model validation programmes to develop new assays and readouts to improve the translational value of the models that we offer. By doing so, we are reducing, refining and replacing experimentation in drug discovery. We work with clients to adapt or develop new models, and can receive your novel strains as part of our programmes.
Some of the bespoke models that we have developed for our clients include:
- A gastric emptying model, in order to model novel drugs being developed for obesity and type 2 diabetes.
- An acute liver inflammation model, to assess therapies controlling cytokine mediated damage.
- A vaginal carriage model of Group B Streptococcus, to test vaccine efficacy
Existing models span a range of major therapeutic areas including:
KWS BioTest uses clinically relevant imaging techniques, such as TEFI, in order to directly assess the ability of novel drugs to modulate autoimmune disease in the retina
Our pathology facilities
- Category II pathology laboratory
- Established in 2009
- National External Quality Assessment Service participant
- Dedicated in-house histopathology team
Our dedicated histopathology team interprets your samples for histological markers indicative of disease and damage. This information may be vital in supporting pharmacodynamic in vivo efficacy studies, whether the samples are from your laboratory or ours.
We assess key clinical parameters in different disease models and tissues and quantitate and assess the impact of your novel therapies within the disease models using detailed scoring systems.
We use novel and proprietary staining techniques - including haematoxylin & eosin (H&E), immunohistochemical (IHC) and immunofluorescence (IF) - to identify significant structures in disease states, conduct histopathological analyses, interpret phenotypes of disease and understand the mechanism of action of your novel therapy.
Get in touch to learn about our full range of staining techniques and histopathology services.
Biomarkers, pharmacokinetic analysis & MTD
We are able to assist you in all aspects of understanding how your novel therapy behaves within the body and establishing dosing regimens. These are some examples of how we can help you:
- We help you to identify suitable pharmacodynamic (PD) markers and develop and validate pharmacokinetic (PK) assays that can then be used within our facilities or transferred to yours to support efficacy and safety studies.
- We use a variety of methods, including quantitative whole-body autoradiography (QWBA), to assess pharmacokinetics and biodistribution in both healthy and disease states. Our experts can then advise you on the design of your pharmacodynamic studies.
- We help you to understand the maximum tolerated dose (MTD) by assessing preclinical signs of toxicity of various dose regimens - helping you prevent unwanted side-effects and toxicity.
In our in vivo disease models we provide multiple readouts including detailed histopathology if required.
Disease induction is assured in our validated models and confirmed, as required, by multiple readouts including in vitro, ex vivo and in vivo tissue analysis.