- KWS BioTest specialises in developing primary human or animal cell culture assays to support drug discovery and development.
- A wide range of single or multi-cellular assays are available for determining MOA, screening compounds and validating biomarkers.
- Novel assays can be established to meet your needs.
- Learn more about our offering within Charles River.
Our dedicated cell biology team will be able to help you identify and validate your targets; accelerate your hit-to-lead and lead optimisation; and characterise the mechanisms of action (MOA) of your compounds.
We have developed long-term relationships with many of our clients and our expertise in cell biology has helped to accelerate their research and discovery programmes. While, we are happy to work with established cell lines, we specialise in the validation of assays using primary cells that closely mimic human biology and are suitable for drug screening programmes.
Here are a few examples of cell types that we run assays using, but please get in touch to discuss how we can help you.
We model complex biological systems in vitro using primary cells from healthy volunteers and patients.
In vitro efficacy screening
For decades we have been assessing the potency and toxicity of drug compounds in vitro through the establishment and validation of bespoke assay systems. Our expertise in handling and culturing cell lines, including primary human cell cultures, provides a platform for the immunological and pharmacological investigations that will help you to understand your drug better.
All of our work at KWS BioTest is supported by our fixed and live cell imaging capabilities, which allow us to better understand what is happening within individual cells.
Some of the ways we have used microscopy to support work with our previous clients include:
- to provide a detailed determination of uptake, delivery and intracellular compartmentalisation,
- to study target protein expression and localisation,
- to look at receptor trafficking, internalisation and recycling; and
- to confirm co-localisation of the target and therapeutic agents.
Our experienced team will help you to see and understand what is happening within the cells that are of interest to you.
Multicolour immunofluorescence is used by KWS BioTest to investigate pharmacodynamic changes and target engagement in clinical samples and in samples from pharmacology models.
We use flow cytometry for immunophenotyping and characterisation - identifying expression of up to 11 different targets simultaneously. However, we also use this technology to support our work in more standard applications of cell activation, cell proliferation and cytotoxicity.
KWS BioTest uses flow cytometry analysis and sorting to map target expression and study the effects of drugs on cellular activation, proliferation and differentiation.
KWS BioTest uses the InCuCyte® system for real-time, quantitative live-cell analysis in support of cell biology projects.